#1 2009-01-20 4:04 PM

jray

What is the club planing on doin to recruit young members?

I've noticed over the past couple years that the average age of the club is getting older. It seems most everyone is over 30 that actually participates in anything. Hell im 23 and have been riding with some of you since I was 19 and I have always had this thought in my mind. I know a shit ton of people that are in there early 20's that go out rideing on a daily basis in the summer months and it seems like none of them are members.

I have talked to them about the sportbike club and they all pretty much know about it, but most dont see any reason to join since there really doesnt seem like the club does much on a regular basis. Hell last year i asked a bunch of people if they were going to the laguna run (which seems like the main ride they do want to go on) and they had no clue that it was happening the next day.

Im in no way saying that the club doesnt do anything for the members at all, but what are people planing on doing to make the club a bit more attractive to younger members? Most of the sportbike riders are in their early 20's and you gotta kinda put yourself into a young persons position in life to think of things to do that may interest them.

What does a young rider like?  Answer....beer, bikes, boobs.  Most younger people like to go out on the weekends and end up drinking all night. So generally the whole 10:00 am on a Sunday bike meet is really hard to pull off (i know from personal experience lol).

I know that I have been on much bigger unplanned rides from people just calling everyone they know with a bike than the bigger planned club rides. Hell most of the get together weekend rides, where a group of us get together and meet up with another group of people at a friends house, seem to have more people than alot of the sunday rides I have been on.

Seems to me that most of the younger croud does their riding on Saturdays from noon to 6 or 7pm
and we also do alot of night time rides thru town too. (night time in the country sucks for animals and bugs)

Just trying to see what everyones thinking, im really tired so my mind may be wondering a bit...

Last edited by jray (2009-01-20 4:06 PM)

I have the sickness...

Gayest quote in forum history LOL
"More wiener please"----milageguy

#2 2009-01-20 4:10 PM

eprissel
Paid Member
Website

Re: What is the club planing on doin to recruit young members?

From what I remember I think the club used to have a Tuesday night ride or something that went out for a couple hours, I was never in town early enough to get on the ride so I never participated...

Son, you're about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop!

#3 2009-01-20 4:37 PM

jray

i seem to remember a wednesday night ride that met up at sport rider. I used to work at truckaline so i would see them every week when i was at work sad

I have the sickness...

#4 2009-01-20 5:29 PM

aaron
Internets Guy
Website

The sunday morning thing is kind of strange, I'm guessing it was originally implemented because traffic is really low on sunday mornings, so it's easier to tool around?

Moving it to more of a mid day ride on either Saturday or Sunday sounds like a good idea. Saturday might work better for the partiers out there - you can ride all day, drop off the bike and clean up, and then everyone meet up on Water St for happy hour or a late dinner (before heading to the Pickle of course).

Some sort of discount thing would be good too - a bunch of riders out here in one of the 'clubs' has a discount thing - every month they get either a discount on a specific part/item, or a 'group buy' deal for something. Obviously has to be something useful to everyone no matter the bike model, but that could work. (I know there was the 10% off thing at Sport Rider, not sure if that is in effect anymore...)

The club party this year was ok, but seemed to die out pretty quick - I think you should all look at having it somewhere closer to home for everyone. It seems the majority of the riders are from the Eau Claire area, so do it somewhere there for damn sake! The Happy Hollow is a nice big place, that could work, eh? Or, you could always rent out the drunk bus and have it at chubby's...

I know I don't care all that much, not living there anymore, but eh, lending my opinion.

I hope you're all going out riding tomorrow, 27 degrees! It's a friggin heat wave compared to your last week!

#5 2009-01-20 6:09 PM

crash06
Paid Member

Yeah I do most of my riding on Saturday just because I don't like being all beat up and tired for work on Monday which shouldn't be a problem this year since the company I work for is closing in two months  :cry: .
Also a lot of people that I ride with actually work third shift so they go to work Sunday night which has so far kept them from participating in any club rides.

I do think that there are more young riders on the road then older but even this last year a few times that I rode with younger people that were just friends of friends, they were of bunch of reckless fucking morons and I rode with them for about two miles before I just said to hell with it.

All in all I think it would be great to have more members but I personally would rather see the same amount of members then to recruit a bunch of idiots that are going to do nothing but give the club a bad name.

I'm not hating on younger people cause I myself am only 24 but I figured I'd throw in my .02.

So far my experience's with the club have great and I look forward to particapating in more rides and such this year.:D

#6 2009-01-20 7:51 PM

Turd Furgesson
Website

jray wrote:

I've noticed over the past couple years that the average age of the club is getting older. It seems most everyone is over 30 that actually participates in anything. Hell im 23 and have been riding with some of you since I was 19 and I have always had this thought in my mind. I know a shit ton of people that are in there early 20's that go out rideing on a daily basis in the summer months and it seems like none of them are members.

I have talked to them about the sportbike club and they all pretty much know about it, but most dont see any reason to join since there really doesnt seem like the club does much on a regular basis. Hell last year i asked a bunch of people if they were going to the laguna run (which seems like the main ride they do want to go on) and they had no clue that it was happening the next day.

Im in no way saying that the club doesnt do anything for the members at all, but what are people planing on doing to make the club a bit more attractive to younger members? Most of the sportbike riders are in their early 20's and you gotta kinda put yourself into a young persons position in life to think of things to do that may interest them.

What does a young rider like?  Answer....beer, bikes, boobs.  Most younger people like to go out on the weekends and end up drinking all night. So generally the whole 10:00 am on a Sunday bike meet is really hard to pull off (i know from personal experience lol).

I know that I have been on much bigger unplanned rides from people just calling everyone they know with a bike than the bigger planned club rides. Hell most of the get together weekend rides, where a group of us get together and meet up with another group of people at a friends house, seem to have more people than alot of the sunday rides I have been on.

Seems to me that most of the younger croud does their riding on Saturdays from noon to 6 or 7pm
and we also do alot of night time rides thru town too. (night time in the country sucks for animals and bugs)

Just trying to see what everyones thinking, im really tired so my mind may be wondering a bit...

This is a topic that gets brought up a few times a year. Usually DURING the riding season so it's good to have an early reminder. I think it would be good for the club to have everyone weigh-in on thier thoughts toward recruiting younger members new and old(no pun intended).

I love the smell of strontium-90 in the morning. Smells like...*brief lifespan

#7 2009-01-20 8:33 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Hard to gauge. Some younger riders know the way we are; Junior is a prime example, as is Crash, and they seem to enjoy our company regardless. I can tell you honestly that my brother first told me I didn't want to ride with you guys when I expressed my interest as a VERY new rider, but I tried it out anyway, and the difference between when Brother rode "back in the day" vs. today was that most of you are older and wiser. Nobody brought the blatant "I ride better than you" ego bullshit, which makes riding at your own pace an easy thing to do, every one of you was more than willing to dispense solid advice without judging and I've learned much about a better way to ride instead of just a faster way to ride. Sounds like back in the day you were ALL reckless morons, and as Crash said, I wouldn't have stuck with it for more than the first ride. As it was, you guys let some D.B. named Kramer lead my first time and if it weren't for Riley, I would've been afraid/intimidated to ride with you all. smile Love you Kramer. You are my favorite, after all these years, you fast nutjob. big_smile

Having said that, the Laguna ride invites the squids and DB's who clearly don't want to be a part of the club, would rather pay $20 for one day of riding and partying vs. the extra 5 bucks for a year for lots of rides, both on Sunday and other impromptu rides during the week, not to mention a break on track days, which they never seem to be interested in, and don't want to ride with us the rest of the time, which is specifically why I chose to help cook instead. ...didn't somebody lose a frickin' PIPE??

I'm all for people of ANY age joining up with us to ride as long as they wear the gear and keep in mind that they can fuck off all they want when they're on their own, but there's a measure of responsibility/care/camaraderie when riding with a group. People can get hurt when you behave like an ass in a group. You want to do wheelies on a group ride to make yourself look like hot shit? Go right ahead. But you do it on the OTHER side of the road so us slow, hind tits don't have deal with the mental scarring of driving over your skull when you fuck up. And so help me, if you pass me on a turn on the same side of the road again, I will give you my UTMOST what for. You know who you are.

We've put up posters on Water street, have we not? At CVTC? At UWEC? My impression is that the younger group is 1) probably put off by the yearly membership fee (which, honestly I don't think is a lot, but then I'm not a student...saving up all my pennies to buy beer I'm not allowed to drink) and 2) the majority seems to think that we are actually NUTTIER riders than we really are. All this tells me is that these boys like to putz up and down Water Street to impress the girls while uniformed in squid wear, know how to gun their engines and maybe pull the front tire into the air, but when it comes to real riding are actually afraid to go fast AND turn.

My brother just hollered from the other room that this is a Riesling-induced statement. That makes it no less truthful. Bring on the youngin's, just have them leave their preconceptions at home. It's what I had to do (that guy with the gray ponytail couldn't POSSIBLY be faster than me), and I wouldn't ride with anyone else. Ever. I may be a rotten person and a howling bitch, but I trust you guys completely on a ride and know that I can rely on you like family. I welcome anyone else looking for that to join us. Not the howling bitch part. Now jray, pay the fucking membership already and ride with us. big_smile

Do I think I'm better than everyone? Only the ones I'm better than.

#8 2009-01-21 8:42 AM

jray

really id say i have road with countless numbers of people on a somewhat regular basis and when the  groups start getting over 5 or so riders, the reckless rideing really tones down. Newbies tend to listen to us more experienced riders and the ride tends to be pretty awesome actually. And the screwing off is pretty thought out with us more experienced guys as well. And usually, if there is alot of screwing off, its done in the right place at the right time and not with a shit ton of other people surrounding them. I love getting a little crazy and i can hold my own in the corners. dont just think that because you see a wheelie down the highway or something that every one that does it is a dumb ass. There is alot of really good people out there that could really suprise you when given the chance. And just cause someone isnt in the sportbike club doesnt mean that they dont ride the same way as the club does either.  I really dont wanna be taken as an asshole or anything as that is not what i am going for at all. but just be open to the other riders you may think are dumbasses, they very well may be one  of the best damned riders/people you could ever want to know.

I work 3rd shift Sunday night thru thursday night.

oh and is it bad that i have been a "member" for like 5 years or something and never paid my dues? big_smile  i pay full price for all the activities tho so im not free loading really

I have the sickness...

#9 2009-01-21 8:46 AM

jray

wisconsin is riders choice for helmet law, just because someone doesnt wear a helmet from time to time does not make them a squid.

I have the sickness...

#10 2009-01-21 9:29 AM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

jray wrote:

dont just think that because you see a wheelie down the highway or something that every one that does it is a dumb ass.

Yes it does. Some dumbasses are just better at wheelies than others. Some of us are even jealous of said dumbasses. At the very least, my dear dumbasses give some thought to where they are before they do it. Ask practicecrasher, Champ, Turd...

My perspective, wine fueled though it may have been, is that I don't think we discourage anyone from joining us. A few times I've heard that, in response to asking someone to join us, we get "You guys are too crazy to ride with." Which is clearly not the case. Do we rider harder and faster than the HOG groups? Most certainly. But what good is a sportbike if you don't use it for its purpose? On other hand, I'm not necessarily going out of my way to ask the guy who just rode past me in flip-flops and shorts, squinting behind his sunglasses as he barrels down a side street at 20 over on a 1000cc bike, if he's interested in riding with us. And yes, one college student did just that past me on a Sunday on my way back into town. Me, fully outfitted in leather suit, helmet, gloves, back protector, and boots...sweating heavily but unharmed.

We welcome anyone to ride with us. We just ask that you observe some guidelines that we have in place so there's minimal badness. Now, I realize I've only been a member in good standing for a year or so. I maybe shouldn't be the one saying this.

And yes, not wearing a helmet makes you a squid in my book. Anyone who doesn't wear all the gear either thinks they're invincible, or just hasn't crashed yet. Or just flat out has a death wish. That's not to say we have ALL worn our gear all the time. It is a choice for each individual. Hell, I only started wearing a helmet in town when I was shamed by Riley when he spotting me without it. Now I can't comfortably ride without it. I'm just saying if you ride with the club, we don't particularly want to get your internal ick all over us just because you don't give enough shit about yourself to wear a bucket and gear.

My poor opinion. Let me announce it. I'm sure I'll be called out for one point or another. Such is the human condition.

#11 2009-01-21 10:15 AM

Turd Furgesson
Website

jray wrote:

really id say i have road with countless numbers of people on a somewhat regular basis and when the  groups start getting over 5 or so riders, the reckless rideing really tones down. Newbies tend to listen to us more experienced riders and the ride tends to be pretty awesome actually. And the screwing off is pretty thought out with us more experienced guys as well. And usually, if there is alot of screwing off, its done in the right place at the right time and not with a shit ton of other people surrounding them. I love getting a little crazy and i can hold my own in the corners. dont just think that because you see a wheelie down the highway or something that every one that does it is a dumb ass. There is alot of really good people out there that could really suprise you when given the chance. And just cause someone isnt in the sportbike club doesnt mean that they dont ride the same way as the club does either.  I really dont wanna be taken as an asshole or anything as that is not what i am going for at all. but just be open to the other riders you may think are dumbasses, they very well may be one  of the best damned riders/people you could ever want to know.

oh and is it bad that i have been a "member" for like 5 years or something and never paid my dues? big_smile  i pay full price for all the activities tho so im not free loading really

I agree. There are alot of other riders out there that would be a great fit for the club. I also think there are alot of misconceptions about the CVSBC. We should be working on getting these people to at least ride with us once to see for themselves if the club is right for them.

#12 2009-01-21 10:16 AM

Turd Furgesson
Website

jray wrote:

wisconsin is riders choice for helmet law, just because someone doesnt wear a helmet from time to time does not make them a squid.

Yeah it does. tongue

#13 2009-01-21 11:03 AM

jray

Turd Furgesson wrote:
jray wrote:

I agree. There are alot of other riders out there that would be a great fit for the club. I also think there are alot of misconceptions about the CVSBC. We should be working on getting these people to at least ride with us once to see for themselves if the club is right for them.

Exactly. Most of the people that i have ever run into that think the sportbike club is to "hardcore" are the first year newbs that have no clue what they are talking about. other than them, i havent heard hardly anyone ever say that about the club at all. It seems that the riders that have been around know about the club but the club just doesnt seem to have anything to attract alot of riders. Such things as different rides on a saturday around noon or whatever. If the club was more intuned to the average sportbike riders life, pertaining to riding times and partys and what not, more people may become a part of the club. Most people want to ride alot, but timeing is everything. I have told soooo many people to join the club and go on the rides, but most of the time the club stuff is at inconvinent times.

oh and umm...anyone still have a copy of the Alterboy's. i still do...dont forget what other things sportbikes are good for. they can do more than hang corners. maybe we should have some "stupid" events that incorporate that stuff?

I have the sickness...

#14 2009-01-21 11:05 AM

jray

Turd Furgesson wrote:
jray wrote:

Yeah it does. tongue

im gonna report this post...grrrrr.....:lol:

I have the sickness...

#15 2009-01-21 11:15 AM

aaron
Internets Guy
Website

I kind of like the fact that you are required to wear a helmet here, although it still results in stuff like the other day - guy wearing athletic shoes, jeans, and a wife beater, zipping down the road on his Ducati 1098. Oh well.

I think you just need to keep finding people by word of mouth, have friends drag other friends out to ride (I assume you still allow people to ride with the group for free once or twice to get a feel for the group, eh) and once they're there, they'll see how fun it is.

I have two friends that bought bikes in Eau Claire last year and even though I bugged them to do it, wouldn't go ride with the club. I bet if I had still lived there I could have gotten you guys 2 new members. sad

Edit: As a side note, I still haven't joined a riding club/group out here yet. There are no fewer than 75 of them within a 100 mile radius, just haven't bothered to hunt any down.

#16 2009-01-21 11:15 AM

jray

Hind Tit wrote:
jray wrote:

dont just think that because you see a wheelie down the highway or something that every one that does it is a dumb ass.

And yes, not wearing a helmet makes you a squid in my book. Anyone who doesn't wear all the gear either thinks they're invincible, or just hasn't crashed yet. Or just flat out has a death wish. That's not to say we have ALL worn our gear all the time. It is a choice for each individual.

I have been down 3 or 4 times, and totaled 2 bikes...both where rebuilt. im human, i have scars to show it and i definetly dont have a death wish. I wear a helmet and gear most of the time, but sometimes i wear just jeans, shirt, boots, gloves, and a back protector...and sometimes not even that. Is it safe, hell no...but does it make me feel good sometimes, yes...same with drinking. Its bad for ya, but sometimes its exactly what you like/need. Back on topic big_smile

I have the sickness...

#17 2009-01-21 11:20 AM

jray

aaron wrote:

I kind of like the fact that you are required to wear a helmet here, although it still results in stuff like the other day - guy wearing athletic shoes, jeans, and a wife beater, zipping down the road on his Ducati 1098. Oh well.

I think you just need to keep finding people by word of mouth, have friends drag other friends out to ride (I assume you still allow people to ride with the group for free once or twice to get a feel for the group, eh) and once they're there, they'll see how fun it is.

I have two friends that bought bikes in Eau Claire last year and even though I bugged them to do it, wouldn't go ride with the club. I bet if I had still lived there I could have gotten you guys 2 new members. sad

Early sunday mornings suck for alot of people. especially the riders that only go out once a weekend, since most people opt for the saturday. Saturdays are "do whatever you want" days that nobody has to worry about. Alot of people work friday evenings and sunday nights. But this we have already made clear i think

I have the sickness...

#18 2009-01-21 11:56 AM

9manchu

I always thought it was too easy to get into the club.  I say initiate the potential new members, and sorry Turd I'm not talking about getting out the paddles.  People want what they cannot easily get and they don't appreciate what is given to them freely (as a general rule.)  Have a longer trial period where they can decide if they want to be in the club and the club can decide that the are worthy.  If either one doesn't measure up give them their money back and they can be on their way.  If a couple of the ass clowns from last years Laguna ride showed up as members I would have to rethink how I spend my Sunday mornings.

For those that are saying "$25 isn't free dumbass."  I was a poor college student too and I would have to have given up 6 Beam&Cokes at the bar to pay for the dues; that is 6 for the entire year, big deal. 

Sunday mornings vs. any other day of the week.  You can never please all the people all the time.  I don't know how the Sunday morning ride came about but if we changed it to any other day we will without a doubt make some people happy and piss off others.  Personally Sunday gets my vote, as an older member I no longer have to seek out beer, bikes and boobs, I have the 3B's in the comfort of my own home.  No scientific study but I think there is less traffic on Sunday mornings.  And Saturday afternoons would kill my weekends by cutting them in half.

And finally, Jray you may think you're not a squid, but to everyone that sees you that one time without a helmet: you are. 

Not passing judgement I'm a firm believer in you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want.

Last edited by 9manchu (2009-01-21 12:01 PM)

#19 2009-01-21 12:08 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Far as I can tell, and as jray has shown tongue, you don't have to be a member to be a part of this forum. People post up all the time when they're going on a ride and want people to ride with them. Sure, sometimes they're last minute, other times there are more advanced notices. Is this not good enough? Hell, so far we only have a once a week "club" ride...that's the only one anyone's asking you to be a paid member for...and that's after you get to ride with us gratis once or twice. You want to ride on a Wednesday morning? Step up and post up. Want to do a Saturday afternoon? Let people know by posting it up. Just keep in mind, it tends to go without saying whoever initially posts has a route in mind and plans to lead. And the responsibility for leading shouldn't be left to just the President, or any of the other officers. I had to lead once, and of course everyone passed me at one point or another for the more fun parts of the route, but I saw that coming and wrote the whole flippin' route down on pieces of duct tape and gave everyone a copy.

I have no problem with a "club" ride on other days. I go as my schedule permits...but what difference does it make? You say you know a lot of guys your age/younger who want to ride with us? Get them here on the forum first. Get them to post up a "Hey, you don't know me but, somebody ride with me." I don't know any younger riders other than the ones who already ride with us. jray, you obviously do. Get busy. smile

As for finding new people...if you have ideas of places to put posters/cards, we can get you a handful.

BTW, I think I'm leaving on the 50 when I get out of work today. Will be traveling on the sidewalk, driveway and down the block and back if anyone wants to join me. big_smile

#20 2009-01-21 3:44 PM

Turd Furgesson
Website

Lots of good stuff here. Keep the feedback coming. Those of you that know some fellow riders on the fence about joining the club, please make a point to ask them what they are interested in getting out of it/schedule wise/party time etc.

#21 2009-01-21 3:47 PM

jray

this is definetly something that needs to be talked bout more. could be the future of the club...

I have the sickness...

#22 2009-01-21 5:07 PM

milageguy
Administrator

I ride nearly every day of the week, We could easily have a week night ride and both days on the weekend if interest is their. I do agree that all club rides should have gear on. What anyone does on their time is completely up to them, im not a name caller. I just don't like pain. If someone gets hurt with out the gear im going to feel less sorry for them, not my problem.

One other reason I believe Sundays were picked for ride may be a little less obvious... besides less traffic, less police. Not saying anyone is a violator of the posted speed limits but say someone forgets to signal at a corner.... its a violation.

I would like the club to grow 2 fold this year...... would even help younger riders learn better skills. That could be any day of the week...... one on one or in smaller groups. I'm sure many members would help when ever asked.

FYI..... The older riders like Beer.... Bikes and BOOBS too.

jray.... If we had a spring kick off party could you get people to show up ?

Is it still called porn if she is in love with the horse ?

#23 2009-01-22 8:38 AM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Just uh, wanted to note here...I only like my own boobs. big_smile

#24 2009-01-22 8:42 AM

eprissel
Paid Member
Website

I agree with all sides here, sometimes I dont wear all my gear but ALWAYS a helmet.  Maybe we should try to set up a couple smaller group rides to go hand out posters/cards.  This way people in the establishments or where ever we drop them off can see who we are as a group and maybe not with full suits on, but obviously full gear otherwise. I know when I first started riding, just seeing those guys all geared up was pretty intimidating and I really didnt want to take part.  BTW, I will stop now and go pay my dues...

Son, you're about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop!

#25 2009-01-22 9:35 AM

madscout636
Paid Member

eprissel wrote:

I agree with all sides here, sometimes I dont wear all my gear but ALWAYS a helmet.  Maybe we should try to set up a couple smaller group rides to go hand out posters/cards.  This way people in the establishments or where ever we drop them off can see who we are as a group and maybe not with full suits on, but obviously full gear otherwise. I know when I first started riding, just seeing those guys all geared up was pretty intimidating and I really didnt want to take part.  BTW, I will stop now and go pay my dues...

all i have is a full suit.  maybe i won't come with.  I hear I am pretty intimidating anyways though.

Houdini Finger.

Board footer