#1 2009-08-20 6:12 PM

crash06
Paid Member

GP shift pattern??

Who has it who's tried it and who like's it?

I tried it today for shits and giggles and the only thing I really liked about it was if I was hanging off a lot and found myself going a little slow I was able to accelerate through the rest of the gear and shift without trying to fish my foot under the lever. On the other hand rushing into a 2nd gear corner in like 5th had me all fucked up trying to find the right gear fast enough to set up for the corner and I ended up in neutral to many times and ended up in first once which is way to many times when you don't a have a slipper. smile

I guess my question is does anybody that uses it really notice any type of advantage and does it just take a lot of time to get use to it??

#2 2009-08-21 7:15 AM

eprissel
Paid Member
Website

Re: GP shift pattern??

ive used it a couple times on a buddies bike, but like you said if ur not used to it, it can get kinda hairy.  I think PracticeCrasher might have his setup like that.

Son, you're about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop!

#3 2009-08-21 10:24 AM

12xCHAMP&COUNTING
Paid Member

I switched to GP a few years ago.  For me, it was easy to get used to.  The only advantages I've found are that you can shift up mid-corner more easily and you it's easier to shift while doing whoolies big_smile

Plus, chicks dig the GP.....sorry, I confused the G with another letter.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride could do.

#4 2009-08-21 11:36 AM

eprissel
Paid Member
Website

12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

I switched to GP a few years ago.  For me, it was easy to get used to.  The only advantages I've found are that you can shift up mid-corner more easily and you it's easier to shift while doing whoolies big_smile

Plus, chicks dig the GP.....sorry, I confused the G with another letter.

Of course you did Champ!

Son, you're about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop!

#5 2009-08-21 11:57 AM

Matt

I'd prolly crash if I wen't to GP shift pattern. lol

#6 2009-08-21 12:21 PM

12xCHAMP&COUNTING
Paid Member

As long as you don't shift mid-corner until you're 100% comfortable with the change, you'll be fine. 

This assumes you don't rely on a lot of engine brake to slow before a corner.  Please, allow me to splain.

If you think you've shifted from 4th to 2nd, but actually went from 4th to 6th, the only real problem will be no drive out of the corner.  If you're really, really pushing it on a track, you could possibly lose the front end, but then you just save it on your knee and away you go.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride could do.

#7 2009-08-21 12:50 PM

crash06
Paid Member

12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

As long as you don't shift mid-corner until you're 100% comfortable with the change, you'll be fine. 

This assumes you don't rely on a lot of engine brake to slow before a corner.  Please, allow me to splain.

If you think you've shifted from 4th to 2nd, but actually went from 4th to 6th, the only real problem will be no drive out of the corner.  If you're really, really pushing it on a track, you could possibly lose the front end, but then you just save it on your knee and away you go.

Well I'll give it a shot for a while and see if I can get used to it. As far as saving it off my knee.... I lack that um what do you call it..... oh yeah talent. lol But I would love for someone to teach me. How about at Black Hawk any takers? big_smile

n500161__XNG390501.original.jpg

Apparently if your good enough you don't need to save it.

Last edited by crash06 (2009-08-21 1:29 PM)

#8 2009-08-21 3:15 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Hey! How the hell can HE do that and I wash out? Did I do something you people aren't telling me?

Do I think I'm better than everyone? Only the ones I'm better than.

#9 2009-08-21 3:25 PM

Matt

Hind Tit wrote:

Hey! How the hell can HE do that and I wash out? Did I do something you people aren't telling me?

Yeah...........you didn't start riding at the age of 2.

#10 2009-08-21 3:55 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Matt wrote:
Hind Tit wrote:

I'm blaming that on my parents. They should've known better.

Hey, crash...within the first 20 minutes of the ride, try shifting from 2nd to what you think is 3rd. Please be sure to be going straight and have the bike upright. When the rear end breaks loose WAY easier than you think is possible, that'll help you memorize the pattern for the remainder of the day. pc was gracious enough to loan me his R6 w/reverse pattern for a club ride. Got my brain fart out of the way early. End of day, I didn't want to give the bike back...cuz I found out the Tiki isn't reversible. I did give it back though because I don't know how you guys can ride with the gosh darn handlebars so low.

I found the reverse pattern to be entirely enjoyable. Especially since I'm frequently struck dumb and forget to get my toe out from under the shifter in left turns. It makes so much sense to hammer down through gears, why on earth don't they just make bikes that way?

#11 2009-08-21 8:16 PM

crash06
Paid Member

Hind Tit wrote:
Matt wrote:
Hind Tit wrote:

I'm blaming that on my parents. They should've known better.

Hey, crash...within the first 20 minutes of the ride, try shifting from 2nd to what you think is 3rd. Please be sure to be going straight and have the bike upright. When the rear end breaks loose WAY easier than you think is possible, that'll help you memorize the pattern for the remainder of the day. pc was gracious enough to loan me his R6 w/reverse pattern for a club ride. Got my brain fart out of the way early. End of day, I didn't want to give the bike back...cuz I found out the Tiki isn't reversible. I did give it back though because I don't know how you guys can ride with the gosh darn handlebars so low.

I found the reverse pattern to be entirely enjoyable. Especially since I'm frequently struck dumb and forget to get my toe out from under the shifter in left turns. It makes so much sense to hammer down through gears, why on earth don't they just make bikes that way?

Yeah I have no problem remembering which way to shift the only problem I had was on the downshift it was hard to feel myself going through the gears and I ended up usually shifting to many. This only happened when I would come in really fast and need to drop three gears at once in order to still have time to set up the corner. I think I'm going to adjust the throw length a little and see if I can get a little more feel from the shifter without sacrificing to much distance.

Last edited by crash06 (2009-08-21 8:17 PM)

#12 2009-08-21 10:03 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Ah well. Kiss my grits Crash! tongue

#13 2009-08-21 10:17 PM

crash06
Paid Member

Hind Tit wrote:

Ah well. Kiss my grits Crash! tongue

Now that's just uncalled for. lol

Now just wait, cause I had to be a smart ass I will probably screw up and bin it on Sunday. big_smile

Board footer