#26 2008-06-08 9:46 AM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Re: BIR/Track Addix 6/16

It's MY turn. :devil:

TOTALLY KIDDING. Champ -> :bow:

Do I think I'm better than everyone? Only the ones I'm better than.

#27 2008-06-09 7:16 PM

12xCHAMP&COUNTING
Paid Member

madscout636 wrote:
12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

BIR is a definite no-go.  May hit RA in July.

wait.  so how can you be the champ then if you don't go?

sneaky fast....sneaky fast

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride could do.

#28 2008-06-09 9:49 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

I'd just like to steal a quote and here, on this esteemed forum, wholeheartedly state...

"Oh man! I am so excited, I may vomit!" - Chandler Bing

#29 2008-06-16 7:38 AM

Wood
Website

y'all have fun now ya hear!?

I want to know how your track day went, so post up!

I'll make you famous!

#30 2008-06-16 10:25 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Hint: When's RA?

Thanks again, xD675x for the housing hook-up. That hizzle was the shizzle. Word.

Last edited by MxMech (2008-06-16 11:33 PM)

#31 2008-06-16 10:27 PM

madscout636
Paid Member

good times had by all.  nobody dry sanded their plastics.
DSCN0067.jpg
DSCN0068.jpg
DSCN0069.jpg
DSCN0079.jpg

Houdini Finger.

#32 2008-06-17 7:34 AM

12xCHAMP&COUNTING
Paid Member

Good job everyone.  I'd like to hear all of your accounts of the day, but specifically, I'd like to hear from the track newbs, Mx and 9manchu.  The first time on the track, like a lot of firsts, can be a surreal experience.

#33 2008-06-17 7:52 AM

Wood
Website

yeah, like, did ya keep it pinned in 1 ?

I'll make you famous!

#34 2008-06-17 7:57 AM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

Good job everyone.  I'd like to hear all of your accounts of the day, but specifically, I'd like to hear from the track newbs, Mx and 9manchu.  The first time on the track, like a lot of firsts, can be a surreal experience.

You sure you want that? Or are you just offering me an outlet? wink

Give me a little time to throw together some florid prose...and sort through the 450 or so photos Nik took of all of us.

To summarize for now: Fuckin. A.

#35 2008-06-17 8:18 AM

9manchu

Yes thanks again dx!  The facilities were awsome.   For a noob like me the speed school was a good investment; between that and a days worth of sessions, I don't think there is a better way to learn to go quicker safer.  One of the best times I've had so far... 

In the morning a kid in the speed school was riding way above his abilities and left turn 1 at 150 (according to the intructor that was with him), he some how managed to save the bike and himself.  In the last session of the day a rider in front of me dove down in turn 1 and clipped a cone.  It  broke off his footpeg and rear brake control.  He was going 100+ when he left the track at the end of turn 1 and without the rear brake he didn't get the bike stopped until the trees at the end of the strait between 2 and 3.  Brainerd = fast.

The only problem with the whole weekend is it didn't come cheap, but I'm alreading working on a way to come up with the jing for the next one.  Here's what I'm thinking so far;

#36 2008-06-17 9:49 AM

9manchu

12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

The only problem is you can't think about baseball to slow things down.   

It is intimidating at first especially with the Trackaddix event because there is no speed limit and they allow passing anywhere at any time, even in the novice group (as it turned out this was a good thing.)  My first thought was I don't want to look like a noob and I have to keep up.  I pushed that thought aside; because more importantly, I didn't want to be the guy who crashed and ruined everyone else's session by red flagging the track.  The kid who went off in the morning shut down the track for the entire session and we were only a minute into it.  Yeah, it's all a part of it but it still sucks. 

Since it was my first track day I went though the speed school.  I got more than I bargained for.  I thought it was going to be a basic motorcycling skills course, with some track orientation thrown in and we were going to be baby sat through out the day.  Far from it, they call it the Speed School for a reason.

The morning classroom started with safety:

Here is how you get on the track.  Sounds simple enough but at Brainerd you enter the track at the end of the drag strip where oncoming traffic can be going 160+.  Bad things happen if you enter the race line at 80.  You stay high through turn 1 and enter the line on the straight between 1 and 2. 

Here is how you get off the track.  Once you signal your getting off don't change your mind!

Here are the flags and what you do when you see them.  Again very important.

This session really calmed the nerves because it answered alot of the noob questions.

After the classroom you head out for the first session. Each instructor had 4 riders and ours had us follow him through the race line for the entire session.

More classroom.  We talked about physics, body position and specifics about Brainerd.  In the second session the instructor would have one of us pass him and he would critique us on our race line, speed, controll and body position.  Personally my race line was good but I was not leaning out far enough.   
I didn't have leathers or pucks so I was only going to lean out so far in the morning.  The intructor knew what i was thinking and pointed out that I had a long way to go before I was going to touch down my conduras.  He was right.

Next classroom.  More speed tips, tips on how to crash, tips on how not to crash.  Q&A about anything and everything.  Third and fourth sessions more critiquing and fine tuning.

I skipped the free lunch and truck drive around the track (thanks to dx I was able to run around the track Monday morning early, really cool, at 6 mph you can see every nook and crany in the track.)

After lunch you get the diploma and turn you loose in the novice class.  The instructors are there for one on one sessions if you want.  I had learned enough I just wanted to practice. 

By mid-afternoon I was comfortable with my race line and corner speeds and I start working on later braking points and going quicker. 

I was intimidated in the morning but by the last session only two people passed me; both were on 1000s and both were on the drag strip.  I say this not as a testimate to my skills but as a testimate to what spending one day at a track can do for you.  You do not want to learn your or your bike's limits on the street. 

I'm sure I left a lot out but I didn't want to turn this into any more of a dissertation. 

Wood - No I did not pin it in 1.  My speedo was taped over (good idea thnx again dx.)  I do know my top speed on the straight was 142, best guess I caried 1 at 115 to 120 on that lap.

Mileage Guy - Eben says hi (what the hell is that all about?)

Thank you to all the other club members that were there as well from giving good advice to feeding us, it is greatly appreciated.  I think I'm going to cry that is all.

#37 2008-06-17 9:54 AM

9manchu

One more thing;  for me 120 in 1 gave me a full squeeze pucker factor of 10.

#38 2008-06-17 3:59 PM

12xCHAMP&COUNTING
Paid Member

thanks for your take on the day 9man. 

mx, please try to keep yours under 1 bajillion words.  thanks.

#39 2008-06-17 6:58 PM

jray

12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

yes, we only have one server

I have the sickness...

Gayest quote in forum history LOL
"More wiener please"----milageguy

#40 2008-06-17 7:18 PM

aaron
Internets Guy
Website

jray wrote:
12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

yes, we only have one server

Upon checking and doing some quick math, assuming the average English word is 5 letters long, my server can hold 254,262,063,923.2 more words before it's full.

#41 2008-06-17 7:21 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

In hindsight, yes, I should have signed up for the School of Speed. On my own, I learned no more or less than I already knew, which for all we know, could be completely wrong. I guess I misunderstood that the novice class would have instructors giving you tips and suggestions...alas, that was exclusively for the Speed Schoolers.

It was an awesome event. My experience, however, was somewhat different than the expected. I think it was based on my attitude to just go out, ride at a pace that is comfortable for me, and also, not crash more than once a month. I'm full up until July.

I'm not looking to be faster, I don't want to race, I'm not in anything to win. I just want to be a smooth operator, and have a shit-ton of fun doing it. Of course, that didn't stop me from pushing my speed envelope some. I did tape over my speedometer (but not my tach), which I'm grateful for doing. For someone who gets the minor wiggins when pushing 90 on the street, it seemed utterly ridiculous that it was possible for The Hind Tit to fly through turn 1 at 130 (which, if calculated correctly, based on gear and RPMs, I think I did). For me, track day was more about little personal milestones. That turn 1 thing? That was a big one. Here's some more:

Scuffing a toe in turn 3.
Hitting the rev limiter while passing a rider.
Passing not one, but TWO riders. More than once.
The look on my brother's face when he told me he was proud of me.
Getting to be the one in leathers for once, instead of just watching.
Learning that I could really lean WAY the fuck over and still stick like glue to the pavement (even that weird, greasy-looking stain in 10).
Figuring out which turn worked best with which gear.
Feeling my front tire leaving the ground just the slightest out of turn 9.
Seeing the same melty rubber boogers on my tires that I see on the fast boy's meats.
Using almost no brake at all (no small feat at 40 miles an hour smile ).

All while hearing the "Top Gun" soundtrack playing in my head.

Of course, spending time with you good people was a significant highlight of the weekend. I'm always willing to take advice to better my skills at motorcycling. The encouragement and acknowledgment mean a lot. Though, the "go all rear brake" advice? Not the best advice one could give. You know who you are. wink

None of us crashed. Nobody even went off the track in our group. I believe we represented the CVSC with class and style and I'm proud to be a part of this group. We may not be psycho fast, hot shit, or as young as we once were, but you can't go wrong with a bunch of good people who look out for each other. And farts. They're funny.

I enjoyed every minute of it, and I can't wait to tell my grandchildren how Grandma rode a motorcycle at Brainerd. ....all right, so it might be somebody else's grandchildren. At any rate, I fed a large portion of my ego and it made me feel damn good to do something not every 36 year old woman would do. I can check that off my list, but I'm certainly not done. smile

....that's just shy of 1 bajillion, yes?

#42 2008-06-17 9:02 PM

9manchu

Mx you are much more eloquent and succinct than I am and I agree with everything you said.

#43 2008-06-18 7:32 AM

jray

MxMech wrote:

....that's just shy of 1 bajillion, yes?

i think we will be okay. well, for now...

I have the sickness...

Gayest quote in forum history LOL
"More wiener please"----milageguy

#44 2008-06-18 4:15 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Shaddap, Cheeks. tongue

Pictures...

From the condo...between turn 10 and der strip.
54_dsc01007.jpg

54_img_4441.jpg

54_img_4446.jpg

54_img_4603.jpg

54_img_4635.jpg

54_img_4672.jpg

54_img_4678.jpg

54_img_4702.jpg

54_img_4594.jpg

#45 2008-06-18 5:35 PM

aaron
Internets Guy
Website

I'm jealous, looks like fun!

#46 2008-06-18 6:40 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Just returned from a short hop. Something's different. My bike is lighter, it turns with ease, I hit 100 on the bypass with a "meh", my head's held high and my helmet's tighter. :rock:

BTW, if anyone saw the two Turd-sized gentlemen grappling on a SV650 today, laugh with me. And barf a little in your mouth.

#47 2008-06-18 7:49 PM

paulc
Administrator

aaron wrote:

I'm jealous, looks like fun!

Great to hear everyone had a safe and fun day.

Like our esteemed webmaster, I too am jealous!

And after reading the posts, it appears there just may be a couple more folks hooked on trackdays!

#48 2008-06-19 2:11 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

xD, the shot of Brother and I in 10 on the orientation lap is my favorite. Thank the wife again for cooking meat and for taking all those excellent photos!

#49 2008-06-24 9:59 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Waiting, waiting, waiting, for Jonah.

I'm like a coke whore locked in a room full of snort.

Think I'll look like a REALLY fast, white Halle Berry? Hmm...probably just a fat, man-shaped, breastacled thing. smile

Come on already! I'm not getting any sleep....all this waiting for my vanity to be sated!

#50 2008-06-24 10:28 PM

Jover

9manchu wrote:
12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

The only problem is you can't think about baseball to slow things down.   

It is intimidating at first especially with the Trackaddix event because there is no speed limit and they allow passing anywhere at any time, even in the novice group (as it turned out this was a good thing.)  My first thought was I don't want to look like a noob and I have to keep up.  I pushed that thought aside; because more importantly, I didn't want to be the guy who crashed and ruined everyone else's session by red flagging the track.  The kid who went off in the morning shut down the track for the entire session and we were only a minute into it.  Yeah, it's all a part of it but it still sucks. 

Since it was my first track day I went though the speed school.  I got more than I bargained for.  I thought it was going to be a basic motorcycling skills course, with some track orientation thrown in and we were going to be baby sat through out the day.  Far from it, they call it the Speed School for a reason.

The morning classroom started with safety:

Here is how you get on the track.  Sounds simple enough but at Brainerd you enter the track at the end of the drag strip where oncoming traffic can be going 160+.  Bad things happen if you enter the race line at 80.  You stay high through turn 1 and enter the line on the straight between 1 and 2. 

Here is how you get off the track.  Once you signal your getting off don't change your mind!

Here are the flags and what you do when you see them.  Again very important.

This session really calmed the nerves because it answered alot of the noob questions.

After the classroom you head out for the first session. Each instructor had 4 riders and ours had us follow him through the race line for the entire session.

More classroom.  We talked about physics, body position and specifics about Brainerd.  In the second session the instructor would have one of us pass him and he would critique us on our race line, speed, controll and body position.  Personally my race line was good but I was not leaning out far enough.   
I didn't have leathers or pucks so I was only going to lean out so far in the morning.  The intructor knew what i was thinking and pointed out that I had a long way to go before I was going to touch down my conduras.  He was right.

Next classroom.  More speed tips, tips on how to crash, tips on how not to crash.  Q&A about anything and everything.  Third and fourth sessions more critiquing and fine tuning.

I skipped the free lunch and truck drive around the track (thanks to dx I was able to run around the track Monday morning early, really cool, at 6 mph you can see every nook and crany in the track.)

After lunch you get the diploma and turn you loose in the novice class.  The instructors are there for one on one sessions if you want.  I had learned enough I just wanted to practice. 

By mid-afternoon I was comfortable with my race line and corner speeds and I start working on later braking points and going quicker. 

I was intimidated in the morning but by the last session only two people passed me; both were on 1000s and both were on the drag strip.  I say this not as a testimate to my skills but as a testimate to what spending one day at a track can do for you.  You do not want to learn your or your bike's limits on the street. 

I'm sure I left a lot out but I didn't want to turn this into any more of a dissertation. 

Wood - No I did not pin it in 1.  My speedo was taped over (good idea thnx again dx.)  I do know my top speed on the straight was 142, best guess I caried 1 at 115 to 120 on that lap.

Mileage Guy - Eben says hi (what the hell is that all about?)

Thank you to all the other club members that were there as well from giving good advice to feeding us, it is greatly appreciated.  I think I'm going to cry that is all.

How much did the whole weekend run? Including the leathers and classes?

Board footer