#1 2009-02-04 11:50 AM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Knee draggin

I guess this question is for the Champ as well as you other dudes worthy of questioning...

I didn't start getting my ass off the seat until late this past season. I'm not working toward touching a knee down as a rule, especially not on the street, but today, since our press is only half working and I have to manually pull 5 sheets at a time out of the thing, it's giving me a lot of time to think. I'm thinking about the next track day and the first time I touch a knee to pavement, because I will. I want to know what it's like from a few different perspectives. Will my leg separate from my body like a Thanksgiving turkey? Is it like fingernails on a chalkboard? Does it slide smoothly like buttah? What about those lumpy road things on the inside of track turns? Talk (type) to me gentlemen.

Do I think I'm better than everyone? Only the ones I'm better than.

#2 2009-02-04 12:36 PM

12xCHAMP&COUNTING
Paid Member

Re: Knee draggin

My advice is to definitely not try.  If you're doing things right, it will just happen, especially on a track.  As for the sensation when it's on the ground, that really depends on the surface.  If you catch the curb at turn 6 at BHF, you'll lose a leg.  Typically, it'll just skim along the surface unless you're actually using it to lighten the lode on the tyres or want your puck to smoke.

You will remember your first time, I know I do.  Hell, I remember more details about the first time I got a knee down better than any OTHER first time of note.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride could do.

#3 2009-02-04 12:39 PM

madscout636
Paid Member

I know I am not The Champ, but here goes....

Your leg shouldn't be ripped off when this happens.  For the most part it is like buttah.  Although I haven't done it, I will say it is not a good Idea to put you knee down on the rumble strips/curbing.  Someone may correct me if I am wrong.  I am still a noob...

Please don't smite me Champ.

Houdini Finger.

#4 2009-02-04 6:48 PM

practicecrasher
Paid Member

madscout636 wrote:

Your leg shouldn't be ripped off when this happens.  For the most part it is like buttah.  Although I haven't done it, I will say it is not a good Idea to put you knee down on the rumble strips/curbing.  Someone may correct me if I am wrong.  I am still a noob...

Please don't smite me Champ.

+1.  You'll notice a slight pulling...but pretty buttah like.  I try to avoid knee to rumble(rumple?) strip...Kind of a pussy that way.  As far as the sound it makes...sort of sounds like a skateboard going down the street on the outside... and a REALLY LOUD, "yyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, FUCK YEAH!" on the inside.  First knee down on the Univ of EC streets...ripped jeans, bloody knee....GOD IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!

P.S. DON'T LOOK DOWN WHEN YOU DO IT!

Last edited by practicecrasher (2009-02-04 6:49 PM)

Life is all butterflies n rainbows!

I don't want to be faster than you...I want to be faster than me

#5 2009-02-04 8:59 PM

Wood
Website

With all due respect, and may it please the champ.

Like butter, then a big smile knowing that more if that is on the way.

Just let it happen though.

Roadracing World mag had an article on dragging knee, they interviewed a few AMA guys, including Mladin. if you can find it, it is a worthy read.

this may or may not be interesting.........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCg3BMGe52M[/youtube]

Wood

Last edited by Wood (2009-02-04 9:20 PM)

I'll make you famous!

#6 2009-02-04 11:09 PM

crash06
Paid Member

So that's what those roundabouts are for.:)

#7 2009-02-05 7:08 AM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Are there enough of us to block the roundabout by the new Gander Mountain so I can practice?

Seriously, thanks for the input guys. I'm certainly not forcing the blessed event, just anticipating it. Wanted to know how it felt. After "leading" a ride (and seemingly abandoning all fear for a little while) and having my first adrenaline rush on another ride, I'm looking forward to this season more than any other so far. Getting off the seat is WAY more funner.

#8 2009-02-05 8:19 AM

eprissel
Paid Member
Website

I can personally say that I have put a knee down while on the bike...then again it was 50cc's of pure power and I was only 12 inches from the pavement in the first place...I know i suck, just let be have my moment.

Son, you're about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop!

#9 2009-02-27 11:46 PM

jray

after i got my first knee down, it took another month or so to drag the other side. kinda pissed me off haha

I have the sickness...

Gayest quote in forum history LOL
"More wiener please"----milageguy

#10 2009-06-13 7:10 AM

pitstop

after getting the knee down you have this awesome feeling, which when you get comfortable dragging the knee, turns to an oh shit moment the first time your toe slider grinds on the pavement! i wore my slider down to the boot in one day at joliet, awesome feeling

#11 2009-07-10 9:02 AM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

<Sigh>

<thoughts of sparks>

#12 2009-07-10 9:14 AM

eprissel
Paid Member
Website

Wow, the corner has been quiet lately...

Son, you're about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop!

Board footer