#1 2009-04-21 7:31 PM

crash06
Paid Member

Track day school??

I was just wondering who here has done one of these "mandatory" first time track day thing's?
Is it really necessary, Does it help, how much time do you actually get on the track, if your in the class is there an instructor keep a pace all day?

I'm planning on signing up for a track day within the next week or so and I'm really curious if I really need to sign up for one of these classes or just sign up for a normal one and say I've done a track day before. I just really don't want to spend most of day in a class room just to have some instructor set a pace for the day. I'm not a fast rider but once I get comfortable with a road or in this case a track I'm very inclined to push a little.

So if anyone could break done the pros and cons and overall what to expect if I do take the class I would very much appreciate it.

#2 2009-04-21 8:46 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Re: Track day school??

I flat out lied on my first track day and said I'd done it before. My reasoning then, aside from the extra cost I wasn't willing to pay, was that I was very familiar with the track (Brainerd), even though I never rode it (went up for several CRA races and could at least tell you without looking whether each turn was a left or right). While I don't regret having an entire track day to myself, it seems 9manchu (who was there with us and DID participate in the track school) learned a hell of a lot more by sacrificing a half day to the class. After all, the opportunity for several unschooled track days will arise...

I'm willing to bet even riders I look up to (but not necessarily follow) who have been riding for years could learn something new in a track day school.

Having said that, if I can afford it, I will attend a school at one of my upcoming track days. Imo, if you just want to ride, skip the class. If you want to ride BETTER, show up with your lunchbox and Trapper Keeper (yes, I went there).

Do I think I'm better than everyone? Only the ones I'm better than.

#3 2009-04-22 10:36 AM

practicecrasher
Paid Member

Tit...I'm offended (you're avatar says, "Fucking".

Crash...they give helpful hints about where apexes are (especially helpful in turn 1 and turn 3 at Brainerd) and the best way to approach that track.  If they do keep a pace...probably not a bad idea for keeping egos in check.  If its your first time...u won't miss out on what fun you have never had and the next one will be even better.  Take it. Sincerely,
Turn 3 Tommy

Life is all butterflies n rainbows!

I don't want to be faster than you...I want to be faster than me

#4 2009-04-22 8:46 PM

Kramer
Paid Member

Crash, didn't you hear all the BUZZ about how much faster the kramer got after his track day with skool included ?????

I think, therefore, I go Fast...

#5 2009-04-22 10:31 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Kramer wrote:

Crash, didn't you hear all the BUZZ about how much faster the kramer got after his track day with skool included ?????

Holy shit! Is THAT how that happened? All this time, I thought you were a superhero.

Do I think I'm better than everyone? Only the ones I'm better than.

#6 2009-04-22 10:39 PM

crash06
Paid Member

Hind Tit wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Holy shit! Is THAT how that happened? All this time, I thought you were a superhero.

No. sad I'm still the noob outcast so I don't get to hear the good story's. But I always wanted to be a superhero. big_smile

I think I will do the class based on your guy's and gal replies. I think I'm going to do it soon and get it out of the way so I can sign up for a regular day that some of yall will be attending.

#7 2009-04-23 7:40 PM

paulc
Administrator

Glad to hear you're going to take the leap and do a track day!

For a first timer the school thing is probably a good idea. I've taken it at Road America with Sportbike Track Time and they did a good job. Covered a lot of fundamentals that can help your riding both on and off the track. The downside is the riding is very controlled in small groups with no passing allowed. Depending on the group they assign you to, this can (and did) get very frustrating for some folks. But at a high speed track like RA this is probably not a bad thing especially for your first time.

I believe when TrackAddix goes to Brainerd International, their school is a separate add on and only takes up the morning sessions. This leaves you on your own for the afternoon sessions. I'm not sure about their rules concerning passing for the novice class though. 9manchu did this last year, so he may be able to give you some advice.

So I guess my advice would be to do the school thing your first time out, absorb all the shit they teach you, deal with the frustration of going (somewhat) slower than you want and then you'll be all set to go fast your next time out.

Also I think the club is trying to organize a track day later in the summer. This may be something you'd be interested in. And if that doesn't happen I'm sure some of us will be going to RA, BIR or Autobahn sometime this summer. We'll post up once we figure out when.

Have fun and let us know where and when you're going.

Board footer