#1 2007-09-23 4:48 PM

aaron
Internets Guy
Website

Someone find me the best route north

I want to take a ride north one of these days, and by north, I mean all the way up to Lake Superior.

Here's the route I made up just now:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&g … 570801&z=9
This is starting from the Holiday on Golf.

So, those of you that know the roads up there, feel free to modify my route. For those that don't know, you can grab on any point in the route and drag it to change the roads it takes, it's really cool.  Then grab the link on "Link to this page" on the top right of the map, and paste it in here with your changes.

There are some straightaways in there, but I didn't know how to avoid them without going way out of the way. Mainly I definitely want to run D through Namekagon Lake, as that road looks totally awesome.

And once a final route is decided on...anyone want to go? smile

#2 2007-09-23 4:56 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Re: Someone find me the best route north

When are you thinking of taking this little jaunt? And how many days?

Do I think I'm better than everyone? Only the ones I'm better than.

#3 2007-09-23 4:58 PM

aaron
Internets Guy
Website

Well I was thinking one day, but maybe two if necessary. It's only 170 miles..

#4 2007-09-23 5:34 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

I didn't realize it was that few miles. I'm willing. smile

How about this coming Saturday...the 28th? I'll go. Can't help on the route, though. I've only ever taken 51 straight up for our Annual Dysfunctional Family & Friends Ski Trip in the winter. Weather looks okay now...will have to keep an eye on it.

#5 2007-09-23 6:47 PM

paulc
Administrator

D does look great on a map!

Never ridden that far north so I'm not going to be much help here.

As an alternate to Highway 40, you could take Hwy. O out of Bruce to Hwy. F and then follow F up past Lake Chetac to Hwy 27 just south of Hayward. This is a nice route through the Blue Hills area.  The only drawback is  I believe there is a 45 MPH speed limit along the Lake Chetac section of F.

North of that, I have no suggestions as far as route goes, so I'm afraid your on your own.

Also, you may want to be careful with that SF203 road section. I think that is a National Forest road designation, and many of those roads are gravel. I'm not sure about this specific road, but you might want to have an alternate route for that section.

Sound like a fun ride. I hope D is as fun as it appears on the map. That way maybe we'll have incentive to take a longer club ride in that direction some day.

#6 2007-09-23 7:03 PM

aaron
Internets Guy
Website

paulc wrote:

Also, you may want to be careful with that SF203 road section. I think that is a National Forest road designation, and many of those roads are gravel. I'm not sure about this specific road, but you might want to have an alternate route for that section.

Yeah, that's a "maybe" road. The only other ways to get up to D look to be crappy highways east or west, then doubling back, blah.  If it were paved and nice it would be a good shortcut, but otherwise looks like east on 77, then back on M to get to D.

#7 2007-09-23 7:29 PM

Rand McNally

CTH D does look good Aaron!  Here are a few others it has been a while though so no promises.  Like Paul said how you come up is a million to one CTH F going up Big Chetek lake is a lot of fun you can take F all the way from Wheyrhauser.  Once you get to Ashland if you feel like it take  a look to the east on hyw 2 and hit 169 or 122 over at Saxon I just can't remember which one is better.  If you stick to CTH D on your way do not miss CTH GG out of mellan going South it will bring you all the way back to STH 70 not the most corners in the world but beautiful country.  GG out of Melen hits STH 77 half way through otherwise there are no roads from Melen to Loretta this is where the elk are stocked in wisconsin maybe you be lucky enough to see some!  Good luck sounds like fun.

Vote for Pedro!

#8 2007-09-24 6:32 AM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Hey Aaron, doesn't have to be this Saturday...was just a suggestion. My last post sounded like a command. Sorry. smile

Dah, and I meant the 29th, not the 28th. Fried brain.

Last edited by MxMech (2007-09-24 7:52 AM)

#9 2007-09-24 8:34 AM

aaron
Internets Guy
Website

Maybe this weekend, weather looks iffy and I might be in NYC. We'll see. I also want to gauge interest and see who wants to go

#10 2007-09-24 8:57 AM

aaron
Internets Guy
Website

Route back from Ashland, route 1:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&g … 8&z=8&om=1

Not sure about this one, looks like some sweet roads, plus would take me/us right up along the lake (and into Michigan even), but it's over 300 miles. Yikes. Probably one for an overnighter. G coming out of Michigan by Long Lake looks extremely fun, as long as it's not in shit shape.

Route 2:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&g … 2&z=8&om=1

Quicker, 190 miles, but not as many fun looking roads and skipping the lakeside drive entirely.

Both of them end with a boring straight drive back to CF/EC, but I figure by that point everyone will be tired as hell and a lazy drive down the freeway/highway will be needed.

Opinions? Modifications?

#11 2007-09-24 8:58 AM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

xD675x might, if you can get him to stop making excuses. :ese:

I've been thinking this over, and a trip similar to this is something I'd like to do 1) when I have vacation time in order to fit in some sight-seeing and 2) when the weather is less of an issue.

I go to the UP every year in the winter to ski and have been wanting to go in the warmer weather to visit places like the Apostle Islands, Lake of the Clouds and the Big Spring.

Last edited by MxMech (2007-09-26 10:31 AM)

#12 2007-10-07 12:55 PM

aaron
Internets Guy
Website

Next time there is a decent day of riding weather I'm going to do this ride (with modifications to the route along the way, of course). If anyone would like to come with great, otherwise I'll go solo.

I'll post up when I'm planning it.

#13 2007-10-08 10:31 PM

nOOky

I have been looking for a good route that way, let me know how it goes. I get up to the north shore, and recently the south shore about twice a year. A few weeks ago I took 13 from 53 in it's entirety to Ashland, it's not the twistiest, but it'd be fun on a sportbike. For those that visit the north shore, the south shore, especially places like Porcupine mt state park are actually much more colorful and worth a look.
Next spring I'm planning a 3 day cycle trip up there. Probably stay right above Duluth, and head up the north shore and do hwy 1 and Grand Marais one day, and hit the UP of Michigan another day etc.
Champ I thought you were gonna send me a route durnit!

'03 ZRX1200R, '07 ZX6R

Board footer