#26 2008-08-05 12:19 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

Re: NEW Essential Competency Add-On to Experienced Rider Course for 2009

12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

Cuz.....I really thought I could. 

I enjoy pushing the limits on my bike.  It's why I ride.  Motorcycling is inherently dangerous.  Many things are in the rider's control as far as minimizing the risks.  Often times I choose not to minimize the risks, but rather to approach that indefinable limit.  The limit is a moving target depending on your speed, your bike, your skill, the conditions, etc. 

I've come up with a few examples in an attempt to illustrate my point.  I've never been skydiving, but there is no doubt some inherent risk.  Some people never choose to push the limit of that sport as the enjoyment they get out of the activity wouldn't go up by adding risk.

Another activity which can be very benign is kayaking.  Take it on a lake on a calm day and there's very little risk.  That's what some people are looking for.  You could take the same piece of equipment to a river in Colorado and the activity and associated risk are quite different.

I don't always ride near the limit.  In fact, I rarely do.  In this instance, I picked a poor time to push it and I got lucky the outcome wasn't much worse. 

I hope this gives you a bit of insight into my motorcyling mentality.  I know many of you will know exactly what I mean and some just won't and that's fine. 

The rush comes from honing a skill, not the perceived danger especially by those who do not ride.

I'm still blaming the Seppuku-happy shrew. Sometimes life just throws gravel in your favorite turn. I'm not the only one who accepts that I've upped the ante on my imminent demise since I started riding, right?

The fact that you managed to walk away is enough for me. Had I been in same situation at current skill level 0, the birds would be picking bits of blond hair out of the bark for their nests.

12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

Fish, the sticker got torn right in half so now it's either really huge or really tiny.

Given the fact that there will no longer be the visual of one finger in reference to the other, I vote HUGE (midgets). When taken into consideration the inadvertent game of Pine Tree Plinko you ended up playing (and didn't poo), you sir, have a hell of a swinger. smile Lucky, sure, but you still walked away. Correction, RODE away. HUGE. I doubt it would've gone as well for the less experienced. But then, you won't catch me flying at Mach 2 with my hair on fire...not right away, anyway.

Champ: Pop culture ref. Plinko is the name of the game that was played on "The Price is Right." It's actually based on the Japanese game called "pachinko." So I was right in a fat, lazy, American way.

Seriously? Whatever it was, I'm glad I still have a roomie, a teacher, and a leader. Also? Don't do it again. smile

Do I think I'm better than everyone? Only the ones I'm better than.

#27 2008-08-05 12:27 PM

amityj

Im glad your ok! So is the bike gonna show up in one of those Geico comercials that says: "$---.-- Some cosmetic damage....." then erases and changes to: "set up for street fighting" smile

#28 2008-08-05 2:21 PM

12xCHAMP&COUNTING
Paid Member

If this gem ever hits the free-market, there will be full-disclosure.  I would expect to sell it to a stunter or a retard.  Hold on, aren't they one in the same? :bolt:

Please note the above dig originated in the mind of someone who frequently dances with pine trees at speed.  I'm just saying, consider the source.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride could do.

#29 2008-08-05 3:32 PM

eprissel
Paid Member
Website

12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

I would expect to sell it to a stunter or a retard.  Hold on, aren't they one in the same? :bolt:

HAHA, I would say no, but so many things come to my mind that I would love to type here...I will refrain for others sake.

Son, you're about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop!

#30 2008-08-05 5:11 PM

Turd Furgesson
Website

12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

Cuz.....I really thought I could. 

Fish, the sticker got torn right in half so now it's either really huge or really tiny.

I enjoy pushing the limits on my bike.  It's why I ride.  Motorcycling is inherently dangerous.  Many things are in the rider's control as far as minimizing the risks.  Often times I choose not to minimize the risks, but rather to approach that indefinable limit.  The limit is a moving target depending on your speed, your bike, your skill, the conditions, etc. 

I've come up with a few examples in an attempt to illustrate my point.  I've never been skydiving, but there is no doubt some inherent risk.  Some people never choose to push the limit of that sport as the enjoyment they get out of the activity wouldn't go up by adding risk.

Another activity which can be very benign is kayaking.  Take it on a lake on a calm day and there's very little risk.  That's what some people are looking for.  You could take the same piece of equipment to a river in Colorado and the activity and associated risk are quite different.

I don't always ride near the limit.  In fact, I rarely do.  In this instance, I picked a poor time to push it and I got lucky the outcome wasn't much worse. 

I hope this gives you a bit of insight into my motorcyling mentality.  I know many of you will know exactly what I mean and some just won't and that's fine. 

The rush comes from honing a skill, not the perceived danger especially by those who do not ride.

Elequent and so true.
But don't let me saying that make it sound like I like you.

I love the smell of strontium-90 in the morning. Smells like...*brief lifespan

#31 2008-08-06 12:33 AM

12xCHAMP&COUNTING
Paid Member

Fabrication of a headlight mount and maybe an instrument cluster mount are all that't left before the two-wheeled Christine is road-ready....I think.  Will be test-driving her tomorrow afternoon.  Fingers are crossed.

BTW, the duct-tape and zip-tie count went way down with the removal of the plastic.  I may be in single digits on the zip-ties and under 5 pounds of duct-tape.  Hooray for me!!

Out.

#32 2008-08-06 12:37 AM

Wood
Website

WHEW!

GLAD YOUR OK!

If you want, I can set you up with a forester who can mark the trees so you can select cut them smile

See you Saturday Buzzy!

GLAD YOUR OK.

OK bye

Wood

I'll make you famous!

#33 2008-08-06 6:54 AM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

Fabrication of a headlight mount and maybe an instrument cluster mount are all that't left before the two-wheeled Christine is road-ready....I think.  Will be test-driving her tomorrow afternoon.  Fingers are crossed.

BTW, the duct-tape and zip-tie count went way down with the removal of the plastic.  I may be in single digits on the zip-ties and under 5 pounds of duct-tape.  Hooray for me!!

Out.

Yep...it's progressing quite well. Champ is definitely shaving the weight off bit by bit. Here's a shot after last night's modification session:

54_champ.jpg

#34 2008-08-06 8:02 AM

madscout636
Paid Member

MxMech wrote:

the birds would be picking bits of blond hair out of the bark for their nests.

i do that anyways...

Houdini Finger.

#35 2008-08-06 10:01 AM

9manchu

I too am glad you are okay.  I am experiencing a little survivors guilt for bailing early on the ride.  I'll deal with the pain by self medicating this weekend.  I'll also chip in for zip ties if you want to set the record.

Two more things; I think people have a lot to do with making their own luck and remember Lowell Jr. is going to need a trainer bike before you know it.

#36 2008-08-06 10:23 AM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

9manchu wrote:

I too am glad you are okay.  I am experiencing a little survivors guilt for bailing early on the ride.  I'll deal with the pain by self medicating this weekend.  I'll also chip in for zip ties if you want to set the record.

Two more things; I think people have a lot to do with making their own luck and remember Lowell Jr. is going to need a trainer bike before you know it.

:rofl: A sportbike riding penis! ...er...did you mean a different Lowell, Jr.?  big_smile

#37 2008-08-06 10:57 AM

9manchu

MxMech wrote:

did you mean a different Lowell, Jr.?  big_smile

An all together different Lowell Jr., although the Lowell Jr. I am refering to does in fact have a penis.

#38 2008-08-06 12:32 PM

12xCHAMP&COUNTING
Paid Member

My standing joke when someone is having a kid is to suggest they name him Lowell Jr. or her Lowellette or Lowelletta. 

You know.  There's nothing funnier than infidelity with results!!

#39 2008-08-06 12:53 PM

Hind Tit
Paid Member
Website

No surprise that it means "little wolf".

#40 2008-08-06 3:28 PM

eprissel
Paid Member
Website

Lowell, check out this site...universal headlights.

http://www.acerbis.com/p107_headlight/p107.html

Son, you're about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop!

Board footer