#1 2008-02-14 8:30 PM

Badfish

Tire changing.

Just tossing this out there...

I have purchased some new equipment (to prevent scratches) and can now demount/mount and balance tires. I have been doing my own for three years.

Rates are very reasonable, I have no aversion to tires purchased on the internet, and I will be available help out in the hours that shops are not normally open.

I am not intent on replacing the shops you have been using, but I hope I can supplement their services by providing another alternative.

If you are interested, just send me a PM.

#2 2008-02-14 8:42 PM

madscout636
Paid Member

Re: Tire changing.

a.  can we buy tires through you?
b. do you accept fluffing as payment?
c. do you have weights, or would we need to supply them?

thanks in advance.

Houdini Finger.

#3 2008-02-14 9:10 PM

Badfish

A) I will not be keeping a tire inventory, nor do I receive any kind of discount pricing. I'd suggest providing your own tires. I could be persuaded to get a set in a popular size and brand, but I'd charge something for my time. I'd really recommend buying your own tires.

B) I spoke to Twinkie Cummings, and she really would prefer I not accept "fluffing" as payment.

C)I have black, adhesive backed, lead wheel weights. If you do not have black rims, or say you prefer pink wheel weights, you will have to provide your own.

D) In a totally unrelated subject, I completely spaced on trying to find that plastic weld for you. Do you still need it?

#4 2008-02-14 9:16 PM

madscout636
Paid Member

a.  i wasn't asking about tires for myself.  more for everyone else, fyi.

b.  ok

c.  ok

d.  yes.  if you find it, i will trade you for some beers.  or some dollars.

Houdini Finger.

#5 2008-02-14 9:19 PM

Rand McNally

Curious what type of changer and balancer do you use?  I have a no mar changer in the garage that works pretty good the operator seems to get better all the time and I just use a gravity balancer!  I am always looking for better tips and equipment info!

Thanks

Vote for Pedro!

#6 2008-02-14 10:10 PM

Badfish

I started changing them the old school way on a chunk of carpet, soapy water and tire spoons. The father in law bought a Harbor Freight basic tire changer. I asked if he would mind me getting the motorcycle tire attachment for it. That got me up off the floor and worked much better, but the mount demount bar was less than kind to rims. So I just got a NoMar bar to save the nicks and scrapes.

I also use a static balancer. Last I heard, it's still the most precise method of balancing.

I had a couple of people ask about me changing tires last year, but I warned them about my proficiency at scratching rims. Some were ok with that, some were not. Thus the No Mar bar. I couldn't spring for the whole changer, although I think they are a sweet set-up.

Do you have the YellowThing or the "extra hands" clamps? If so, how are they?

#7 2008-02-14 10:11 PM

Badfish

madscout636 wrote:

d.  yes.  if you find it, i will trade you for some beers.  or some dollars.

I will look tomorrow.

#8 2008-02-15 6:53 AM

Rand McNally

I do not have the yellow helping hand. That was  new last year I think it might be 100 bucks maybe that is high though.  I sure think it could come in handy.  I have been practicing with there lube (Yes I said it)  I have changed how I do a few things and it has helped a lot.  I have also tried the soapy water thing also.  I will be intrested to see how the bar works for you, she can be a bitch once in a while with it turning on you and rolling out.  I assume your old bar just had the rounded hook and I can see where that would stay down a little easier.  Check out NO Mar's site and look for the video bloopers there not so perfect either and some are pretty funny!

Vote for Pedro!

#9 2008-02-15 6:55 AM

Rand McNally

[
I couldn't spring for the whole changer, although I think they are a sweet set-up.

I also had 2 partners go in on it!

Vote for Pedro!

#10 2008-02-15 8:54 AM

Badfish

Two people helping out with the No Mar purchase would make it way more affordable.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/06YellowThing.html   36 bucks

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/06XtraHands.html    39.50 ea. or 99.00 set of 3

I think I can fab something similar to the Yellow Thing at work. If I do and it works, I can easily fab two.

I am thinking a dip in some of that vinyl tool coating would make it paint safe.

Assuming you change tires for club members also, don't be afraid to mention it here in this thread. I really don't feel "competitive" about it with you or anyone else. You may be able to help someone out when I am out riding or vice versa.

If all I ever do is change my own tires, my investment has paid for itself in a couple seasons. I just wanted people to be aware of another choice for tire mounting.

#11 2008-02-15 8:58 AM

eprissel
Paid Member
Website

I need my front tire balanced, I got a slight shake at 100+ mph, how much for just a balance?

Son, you're about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop!

#12 2008-02-15 9:16 AM

Badfish

Not very much. Pm sent.

#13 2008-02-15 9:52 AM

Rand McNally

Pretty much everyone knows about my changer I have done multiple sets in the past for the champ and Turd.  As far as the extra hands thing I have also uses a small 2x2 about 4 inches long and just stuff it between the tire and inside bead to help keef the tire from crawling over the top, if you have something to dip stuff in and it is rubber based that should work really good for you and yes I might be intrested in one of what you come up with.

I need to talk to a few other people I was planning on having a get together this spring sometime to play with suspenion goodies if there is enough intrest and if enough people came and helped would also do a blitz on tire changes at a reduced fee.

Like you said as far as the changer goes if you only ever do your own and start doing track days with slicks it pays for itself pretty quick!  Plus I enjoy doing it, it can be kinda fun I did the spoon thing once that wasn't so fun for me though!

Vote for Pedro!

#14 2008-02-15 10:04 AM

Badfish

Man, I really like the suspension idea. A lot.

I couple of us have been talking about that this past year. I am sure it would be a great benefit to many of us. Towards the end of last year I started fooling with mine and I really liked the results. Although having some help getting the front and rear sag set correctly to start the year would be great.

We should start planning now before the roads clear. If you are interested in planning a suspension clinic, PM me. I'll help organize as much as I can. I'd really like to see this happen, as a club event.

#15 2008-02-15 12:49 PM

practicecrasher
Paid Member

eprissel wrote:

I need my front tire balanced, I got a slight shake at 100+ mph, how much for just a balance?

Didn't think your bike ever went faster than "cruising for chicks m.p.h."

Life is all butterflies n rainbows!

I don't want to be faster than you...I want to be faster than me

#16 2008-02-15 12:53 PM

eprissel
Paid Member
Website

Badfish wrote:

I couple of us have been talking about that this past year. I am sure it would be a great benefit to many of us. Towards the end of last year I started fooling with mine and I really liked the results. Although having some help getting the front and rear sag set correctly to start the year would be great.

We should start planning now before the roads clear. If you are interested in planning a suspension clinic, PM me. I'll help organize as much as I can. I'd really like to see this happen, as a club event.

I wouldnt mind learning how to adjust mine too!

#17 2008-02-15 1:00 PM

eprissel
Paid Member
Website

practicecrasher wrote:
eprissel wrote:

Didn't think your bike ever went faster than "cruising for chicks m.p.h."

Hey man, you have to go that slow to pick up the curb monkeys...

#18 2008-02-15 2:19 PM

Rand McNally

Badfish wrote:

I am sure it will happen my Mac caught a cold and had to go in to the shop so I do not have my calander in front of me right now.  My wife works every other Sat so I need to check to make sure she is off to watch the kids.  If it so happens that the Saturday before Mother's day is her weekend off I think that might be a good day.  We have in the past not had a regular ride on Sunday of Mother's day. If that Saturday works for me I think it might be good for warmer weather and still not to late into the year, but when I get my Mac back I can throw some more dates out and by all means throw some my way.  I think madscout was in for this and I can always get the champ here by grilling some blommer burgers, Turd's a little tuffer but I will come up with something to get him up here too I think, but all will be welcome!

Vote for Pedro!

#19 2008-02-15 2:35 PM

Turd Furgesson
Website

Rand McNally wrote:
Badfish wrote:

I am sure it will happen my Mac caught a cold and had to go in to the shop so I do not have my calander in front of me right now.  My wife works every other Sat so I need to check to make sure she is off to watch the kids.  If it so happens that the Saturday before Mother's day is her weekend off I think that might be a good day.  We have in the past not had a regular ride on Sunday of Mother's day. If that Saturday works for me I think it might be good for warmer weather and still not to late into the year, but when I get my Mac back I can throw some more dates out and by all means throw some my way.  I think madscout was in for this and I can always get the champ here by grilling some blommer burgers, Turd's a little tuffer but I will come up with something to get him up here too I think, but all will be welcome!

It would be nice to make an event out of this. I know Rand's place would be an excellent choice for venue. Lets put this in a seperate thread.

I love the smell of strontium-90 in the morning. Smells like...*brief lifespan

#20 2008-03-16 5:56 PM

12xCHAMP&COUNTING
Paid Member

Hey, Rand, is your Mac feeling any better? 

Still lots (read as:  way too much) of time until any real riding happens, but any idea when you may want to hold your tire changing/suspension setup party?

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride could do.

#21 2008-03-16 6:17 PM

Rand McNally

12xCHAMP&COUNTING wrote:

Hey, Rand, is your Mac feeling any better? 

Still lots (read as:  way too much) of time until any real riding happens, but any idea when you may want to hold your tire changing/suspension setup party?

May 3rd or t May 17th give some feedback?

Vote for Pedro!

#22 2008-03-16 6:21 PM

12xCHAMP&COUNTING
Paid Member

Sounds like a poll to me.  I'll set it up, and thanks.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride could do.

Board footer